Thursday 16 October 2008

Bournemouth and beyond

So, i am now in Bournemouth. About to begin work as a Night Club Chaplain here. so far the people are really great and settling in well. i don't really know what to expect yet??
There seems to be a lot happening here, i have only been hearing about the Christian scene so far, but there are new expressive things happening. Tonight i will go to a group meeting which has been set up from the Church for the night event (this a where a big church building is taken over, filled with visuals, music and candles and a space for people to reflect, pray or chat). Next event is 31st october and also i am djing in Dex club Brixton on 1st November for you info.

Current Thoughts

Many of my current thoughts have been around finding friends, maybe a girlfriend here and how all that will work. We attended the Uni christian union meeting last night. There was a speaker who talked about relationships.
I was challenged by his words about finding our meaning in something higher (God) and not a relationships being the goal of our existence. He also touched on our attitudes to clothes and acceptance from others, which have been themes of thought this summer.

On a deeper level, i read a note yesterday from 'Smouldering Wick'. it was on the subject of Loneliness....
'You struggle to accept the possibility of knowing happiness without others, locked in a constant search for someone who will complete you and give you the contentment only God can bring. Until you are at peace with yourself, you will never be ready to accept the love of another or return it to them...'

This echoes my thought over the summer, of trying to get to a place where i feel free to love and not bound to love. Also not placing expectations on others to be all for us.

I desire to find a quiet space to be alone and also a social life that allows me to be me and you to be you. I hope i find it here.

4 comments:

Elliott said...

Michael. I'm really pleased that my reflections are resonating with you. I felt that God wanted me to write it for others as well as being a catharsis for myself and this bares that out. Have a look at my blog sometime. I am still struggling with similar things as you and todays entry may be of interest. I really recommend Nouwen's book 'The Inner Voice of Love'. That is the inspiration behind Smouldering Wick. If anyone asks about the book please feel free to give them my details adamcito@hotmail.co.uk

Joss D´Aismont said...

If that is what you want im sure you´ll get it soon. I believe that if you visualize something your really want everyday, it becomes part of your reality. well, that is what works for me and its amazing. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael - just came across your site that was linked from Adam's blog. See that you're living in Bournemouth and about to be the nightclub chaplain? So, you must know Jon Oliver. We were housemates there in Bournemouth for three years and I was a volunteer with him there. Have a blast - I always did. That job is rich when it comes to meeting precious and amazing people. The bouncers at KFC are my favorite. Still keep in touch with Mick over facebook. Hope you're enjoying it there! Take care, Shannon (my blog is www.bluefence.wordpress.com)

Unknown said...

Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
________________________
Ibiza wedding