Thursday 18 September 2008

HOMOSEXUALITY

In my experience the two top responses I am confronted with when I tell someone I am a Christian are…1. Do you believe in sex before marriage? And 2. What do you think about homosexuality?

I often wonder why this is?
Often Christians are seen as Hypocrites for not practicing what they preach, sometimes they are criticised for holding strong opinion or saying what they think.

I think some criticism of the modern Christian church is valid.
In his book ‘ exchanging the truth of God for a lie’ Jeremy Marks recounts many stories where the church has let down those who opt for ‘ Same sex’ relationships or even hint that they are struggling with same sex thoughts.
This book is a must read for anyone looking into this subject. In this book (which I would fail miserably to summarise if I tried) he overwhelmingly points out that actually the real important issue for Christians need not be “ what moral standpoint I take on this issue’ but actually pointing out that the core of the Christian faith is about Acceptance and Love.
He does not argue for a soft moral stance or that anything goes, just that there is more to this issue than quoting a couple of bible verses and saying that is all there is to it.

Now this does not really answer the question, ‘What do I think about homosexuality?’
In his book Jeremy states that ‘same sex partnerships should be seen as a gift from God’.

As a statement on its own, with my past biblical understanding and conditioned thoughts on homosexuality I found that a very hard statement to take.
However, after studying from his website and following a very compelling thought process through his book I have begun to see some light in this area.

1. If for example the church is to be’ Gods light for the nations’, how can we sit in judgement when the bible clearly tells us not to.

2. We can not reduce homosexuality to issues of lust and promiscuity, otherwise we need apply the same to all hetrosexual relationships. When i look at gay couple, I have often reduced it to a sexual repulsion picturing the sexual act as the focus for what I see. Jeremy asks why do we do that when ‘ I don’t picture hetrosexual couples I see having sex when i look at them?

4. I think it is important for us to be asking questions of ourselves, to weigh up with others the biblical application of certain scriptures we always take as clear… to be open to different perspectives and above all to be accepting and loving to all regardless of how we see their actions or lifestyle choices, else we will ALL be rejected from the church.

5. The way we as Gods church have on the whole dealt with this issue and deal with those who are gay has not worked very well and something needs to change.
Jeremy is very pro acceptance and support to those in same sex relationships because it works to bring them the fullness Jesus has for thier lives. he moves away from the model he used to adopt of an 'ex gay ministry'.

There are many single sex couples around today in committed loving relationships. Some with a deep connection and faith in Jesus, some with children. I have heard the idea that when mooted that if this in a single sex partnership (with children) were to become Christians then obviously something would have to change in the relationship?? Would it?
That is a good questionable thought, but definitely one that will be a reality in our day and could we honestly say that with our knowledge of Jesus love and care that he would break up a happy committed family unit for some moral high ground??

There are many single gay Christians feeling crippled by conditioned guilt from ideas and condemnation placed before them, who need love encouragement and acceptance.
It is possible than in this issue the whole ‘Hate the Sin Love the Sinner’ doesn’t really cut the mustard and we actually need to go deeper in the issue?

If so get the book, look at the website and lets talk openly and lovingly about it…www.courage.org.uk

For me right now in this issue I like the phrase 'Love listens and doesn’t sit in judgment'.
Maybe my views will change again, but they are not the most important thing here, people are. This is an open dialogue for me and not something I have concluded or nearly begun to understand, but I want to journey with others of all persuasions, taste’s and behaviours and not be bound or bind them by my opinions…

1 comment:

anon said...

Amen brother! I have been searching for answers around the same issues and currently I refuse to believe that God condemns his children for being Gay when he has made it so - If God is all powerful, all knowing and all loving, then how could he? I understand what it is like to live with a condition that I am powerless over. I am very slowly finding more freedom and peace but it is a long painful journey and the underlying pain is still there. I can clearly see that my addictive nature is written into my genetic code. It was there when I was knitted together in my mothers womb and I have to accept that God has allowed this in my life. Initially this was hard to come to terms with but i have no choice but to surrender and accept it if I am to find any peace at all and rest for my soul. I have to believe that God understands what i am struggling with and still loves me in spite of it. It seems that the point is not to become free from it in this life, but to learn to live with it and put my hope in God, that he knows we live in a broken world - far from his ideal for us, but he loves me unconditionally and wants me to depend wholly on Him for my sanity and my strength, even to get through one day.