Tuesday 9 September 2008

shedding the dreads

firstly again, apology for not posting sooner. from now i will endeavor to post once a week at least.

i am currently in the process of removing my dreads. i have had them for 19 years. i have had mixed response to this proposal. some have said why they look good, others say yeah about time. i agree with both, which makes this a hard moment in my personal development.
i feel that coming to ibiza was a real journey for me of becoming more 'myself'.
i like the concept that God created me to be free and be me. I think people often look at me a certain way due to my hairstyle. indeed i have often hidden behind this style and demeana.
i feel that in order to fully see myself as God see's me i need to remove the dreads. there is a real me under here that i want others to see. So in due course a couple of photo's will be posted. i have currently removed about 30 dreads and have 10 left!!! it is a process because the thought of just shaving it off would i think give me a coronary.
Whilst this seems to be about a hairstyle and possibly further vanity.. it is not. it is actually not something i am that comfortable doing and i am actually finding it hard to adjust. i am somehow feeling it me me growing up a little, even turning into a man :)
It goes back to some of an earlier blog regarding the affirmation we need from others. i love the India Arie song 'i am not my hair'. my hope is that i am accepted for me and not a persona that i portray.


Thought for the day.

i have some thoughts i am formulating, partially about Christian views on morality ( namley same sex relationships) i have also just started reading a book on human evil, by M Scott Peck.

At the outset of this book it has a quote about what being a true Christian is. The whole concept of being open to ones own downfalls is a crucial part of self discovery and human development.
The quote is from a letter written by Saint Theresa of Lysieux
'
If you are willing to serenely bear the trial of being displeasing to yourself, then you will be for Jesus a pleasant place of shelter'

M Scott Peck's tentative definition of a true Christian is anyone who 'for Jesus a pleasent place of shelter'. He goes on to say that there are some in churches not willing to be displeasing to themselves and yet are many Hindu's, Buddhists, muslims, Jews, Atheists and agnostics that are willing to bear that trial.

It is not for some to be offended by this but to take on the challenge.
The concept of purging society of evil begins in our own hearts and journeys. In the film/book/ play of the Crucible the extreme religious strived to rid their towns of evil. In the process inviting and producing great evil.

it may be a while before i formulate ideas on this subject as the book warns it is an area known littel about and needs to be handled with great care and gentleness.
One thing i do know is that ' i will look at the plank in my own eye, before taking the splinter out of my brothers' .
speak soon... Michael :)

1 comment:

frenchypete said...

Deep stuff Michael. Bit like those physicists in Switzerland - all follicles and molecules - with all their brains and knowledge they still want to probe deeper and find out what it all means. Stay cool m and p